- Assemble the Baermann funnel apparatus.
- A clamped rubber tube is placed below the funnel
- A piece of window screen (or similar material) is placed in the mouth of the funnel
- The funnel is placed into a rack or holder
- Place a tissue-paper wrapped soil sample onto the screen material.
- Add water to the funnel setup until the screen and soil sample are immersed.
- Wait overnight (or longer if desired).
- Gather the first couple of drops of water from the bottom of the tube by slowly releasing the clamp on the tubing.
- Examine under the microscope. Note that this technique will work only with actively mobile, living nematodes.