- Construct microsieves from 18-mm and 20-mm test tube caps and 25 micrometer pore nylon mesh.
- UV sterilize all microsieves and hatch trays.
- Arrange hatching trays in replicated boxes using pre-generated random order.
- Fill each hatching tray with 12 ml of the appropriate test or control solution.
- Pipette between 5,000 and 10,000 (depending on experimental details) surface disinfested SCN eggs onto each microsieve.
- Incubate the experiment at room temperature in darkness.
- At every-other day intervals, transfer the microsieves to duplicate hatching trays containing fresh solution, and count the hatched second-stage juveniles remaining in the original solution.